This innovative education pack will help young people understand the real-life implications of becoming involved in a weapons culture. The pack includes a film on DVD plus a CD-Rom with facilitator notes and a detailed session plan which?includes a decision-making card game with cards and a board you can print off, interviews, discussion starters, role-plays, word searches, activity sheets and debates.
The DVD contains a short film about a knifing incident in a school and a subsequent guns incident that followed, which is acted out by staff and students of a secondary school. It graphically illustrates what can happen when young people carry weapons, and how confrontation can rapidly escalate into violence and tragedy, with the?reality of a subsequent police intervention. The programme provides a mechanism for young people to observe a situation involving guns and knives, and to learn through discussion, reflection and activities.
The decision-making card game will help students learn about actions, consequences, facts and the law regarding guns and knives.
?The cards include:
- Action Cards?e.g. You?re trying to get ?respect?.
- Consequences Cards?e.g. You will be unable to ever work in teaching, nursing, care work, sports or leisure centres, police, paramedics, fire and rescue etc.
- Fact Cards?e.g. A MORI youth survey found that 10% of boys aged 11 and 12 are reported to have carried a knife or other weapon.
- Joker Cards?e.g. In the UK it is illegal to carry a weapon and you could be sent to prison or a young offenders’ institute.
- Outcome Cards?e.g. If you point a gun, even a fake gun, the police will shoot you.
- Respect Cards?e.g. Do fear and bullying make someone earn respect?
- True or False? Cards?e.g. Anyone from the age of ten can be prosecuted; injuring someone with a knife carries a sentence of between five years to life imprisonment.
The comprehensive session plan has learning objectives that cover:
- The legal position relating to the carrying or use of knives or guns
- The consequences of carrying knives or guns
- Being able to make safe decisions about knives or guns.
In the words of the students ?No guns or knives, we want our lives!?