In an age where we are constantly bombarded by messages that tell us we?re not good enough as we are, this programme helps to build positive, self-aware girls and young women who feel comfortable in their skin, and truly celebrate their bodies.
A stimulating, self-esteem building programme for girls, it is designed to help them form and maintain healthy friendships and romantic relationships, avoid risky behaviours, maintain school attendance and academic attainment, and build an optimistic outlook for the future.
Easy to run
You can use the structured weekly sessions of the Body Image programme to bring together similarly aged girls to discuss, explore, celebrate and delight in their self-image and individuality.
- There are two separate programmes for girls aged 7-11 (10 weeks) or 11-14 (12 weeks).
- ?They link to Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL), Personal Social Health Education (PSHE), Citizenship and school well-being targets within the School Inspection Framework for Ofsted and Estyn inspections.
- ?They can also be used for after school or extra-curricular clubs.
- ?There is an optional assessment tool to identify potential participants.
Practical issues to help girls today
The main aim of the programme is to encourage the young people to reclaim a positive body image and sense of personal identity, while building self-esteem, self-worth and self-respect. Throughout the sessions, you?ll cover these important themes:
- Self-Image ? including the positives and negatives about our self-image, body perception, becoming body confident, self-image and our physical and emotional well-being.
- Media Literacy ? including media messages, becoming body confident and media savvy, creating our own media image.
- Healthy Living ? including moving our bodies, healthy eating and nutrition, healthy mind, nurturing our bodies, body expression.
- Identity ? including exploring and celebrating our uniqueness, style, fashion and image messages, inner beauty.
- Sex and Relationships (for ages 11-14) ? including owning our bodies, developing body boundaries, boys and self-image.
- Body Celebration and Self-Love ? including ways to heal, celebrate and be confident in our bodies, positive affirmation, self-care techniques, celebrating body confidence.
Low self-esteem and self-worth can start with the increasingly early preoccupation with body image. You can use this fun, challenging, and inspiring resource to help girls build body confidence AND develop self-awareness.